My fanny pack has received varied reactions from my gringo friends that range from disgust to mild amusement. And then there are those who don’t even question it. It’s just me being me.
If you are one of those who are highly resistant to the idea of donning a fanny pack, I hope to convince you that they’re worth it… especially as a gringo in Chile.
1. Reduce your chances of being pick-pocketed. It’s harder to steal a wallet, cash, credit cards, or condoms from a fanny pack. (I don’t actually recommend carrying condoms in a fanny pack… or a wallet, for that matter. Too much wear and tear for that to be safe. MOVING ON.) First of all, a fanny pack is situated in a place most people aren’t about to grope for. Moreover, it’s more visible to you. And there are fewer easy ways to access the cash—it’s zipped up, to name one. But one factor in the lowered probability of pick-pocketing may just be…
2. Appear more Chilean than you really are. Believe it or not, most gring@s aren’t about to hop on the fanny pack bandwagon. So you will make people question whether or not you’re a gringo just by wearing one of these bad boys. Don’t get me wrong, you still have to rock a fanny pack the right way. Get one that suits your style—they come in all different colors, fabrics, and sizes. And I feel cooler with mine when it hangs to the side just over my hip.
3. They’re convenient, comfortable, and can be cool. If you’re used to a purse, you don’t have to carry it around anymore. Who wants to always be thinking about that thing hanging from your shoulder? It’s much more comfortable to wear a fanny pack. Or maybe you’re one of those people who wear a wallet-shaped hole into their pockets from always carrying their wallet in the same exact place. Not anymore. It’s fanny pack time.
- Travel worry-free in the metro, la vega central, patronato, el persa biobío, and beyond.
- Blend in with Chileans
- BECAUSE COOLNESS: look at Rihanna wearing one to the left.
That’s it for today! I am now headed off to celebrate Chile at some fondas! I just stopped by my house to drop off my backpack and load up my fanny pack. AWwww yeah.
Fanny pack users: what do you love about your fanny pack? Those of you who don’t yet don the banano: what is taking so long?